Are you thinking about earning some extra cash on the side? We all know that money doesn’t grow on trees, but there are many options to make a little extra income to pay for things we want and need. As the years go by, we are discovering various ways to put extra money in our pockets. There’s nothing wrong with adding an extra stream of income to pay for expenses, so here are some great ways you can earn money today without a college degree.
Interested in turning your side hustle into a lucrative, home-based business? Sign up for our Homebased Business 101 Workshop!
Use your car to make extra money with ridesharing. Unlike a taxi cab, ridesharing is a flexible way to use your vehicle to drive people to various destinations with the use of a mobile application. The app has built-in GPS, and passengers can give you a tip and rate you based on their riding experience. Companies like Uber and Lyft are the two most popular apps to get started with the click of a button. After registering, there are a few requirements you need to get started:
- You need to meet the required age to drive in your state.
- You need a valid driver’s license.
- Ridesharing requires one year of driving experience (If you are under age 23, you need at least three years of experience to qualify).
- You can use an eligible 4-door vehicle such as a sedan, SUV, or minivan.
Ridesharing requires a background check for eligibility. If you are using Uber, the background check can take 1-3 business days. Lyft usually takes at least 3-10 days to process. Once the process is complete, you are ready to hit the road and earn more money while driving.
2.Food Delivery/Grocery Services
This side-hustle also allows you to use your own personal vehicle. Like ridesharing, customers place an order through a mobile app, and the drivers pick up the items and deliver them to their doorstep. The signup process is quick and simple, and there are various delivery apps you can use to bring in more money. The benefits of ridesharing and delivery services are that it offers flexibility to work around your time.
The most common food delivery apps are:
You can also deliver groceries with these apps:
Food/Grocery delivery apps require drivers to have a valid driver’s license. You must also meet your state’s age requirements and pass a background check to become eligible.
If you have a passion for writing, website design, video-making, or carry a variety of skills, then freelancing is a great way to put extra money in your pocket. Freelancing offers more flexibility than a regular full-time job. With freelancing, you find small, short-term jobs for a fixed amount of money. However, some of the most successful freelancers can make a steady living.
Freelancing can be anything from blogging to website design. Here is a list of freelancing opportunities:
- Transcription/writing services – there are different transcription sites that pay you to transcribe audio.
- Podcasts – Podcasting takes a little bit of effort to profit from.
- Website logo design
Although there are hundreds of freelancing sites to get started with, here are some of the most popular on-demand sites to find work.
- Freelancer.com is a general freelancing platform that allows you to work with companies that need a specific service. You simply bid on the project, and if selected, you complete the work and get paid.
- Upwork is geared towards freelance professionals. This website is used for freelancers looking to complete long projects and choose between a long or short-term contract.
- PeoplePerHour is used by over 2 million freelancers. Businesses can connect with international freelancers on a wide range of services.
- 99designs is a platform specifically for website designers to showcase their talents. It features freelance work in various categories such as book covers, logos, and web pages.
- Guru is a general freelancing website that helps companies find freelancers from anywhere. It offers feedback scores to help companies find freelancers and a flexible pay rate.
If you enjoy freelancing but like working with your hands, try TaskRabbit. TaskRabbit is an American online marketplace that connects users with local contractors to help with everyday tasks such as cleaning, deliveries, moving, and handyman tasks.
TaskRabbit offers services in over 50 categories. It offers great flexibility where you can set your own charge rates. After completing a task, you keep 100% of what you charge, including tips.
So how do you get started on TaskRabbit?
- The signup process is pretty simple. Just input your information and download the app to continue the registration process.
- Select the services you would like to offer and the location.
- Confirm your identity and submit any required business verifications.
- A $25 registration fee is required to become eligible.
- Select your work availability and opt-in for same-day delivery tasks.
- Start getting jobs and grow your business.
5.Buy And Resell Items Online
Thinking about selling your old items? There is nothing like getting a bargain for used items while saving a bit of money. Whether you are looking to create a business or just make a little extra money, there are many platforms you can use to sell your items to potential buyers. Amazon and eBay are two of the most popular sites to sell your items.
- With Amazon, you can sell almost everything, but some specialized items may require approval from Amazon and an upgraded selling plan. The fees for selling items depend on how many items you plan to sell per month.
- eBay allows you to auction and sell various items, but it has an easier fee structure than Amazon. Furthermore, eBay allows you to promote and upgrade your item listing for an extra fee.
If you are looking to sell items locally, you can use websites like Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace, and Letgo.
Dropshipping is another innovative way to sell your items online without having to buy inventory. If you are interested in turning your online store into a profitable business, this is a great option for you. With dropshipping, you can sell on third-party platforms such as Amazon, eBay, or Walmart. If you are looking to create your own online store, Shopify is the best option for you. On Shopify, you can customize your website and market your products.
- You want to begin by finding a profitable niche to sell to potential buyers.
- Do some competitive research. You are a seller competing with the biggest retailers, so it is necessary to promote high-demand items.
- Find a reliable supplier. Your supplier will be responsible for product shipments. Selecting the wrong supplier can hurt your business, so it is important to do your research. Communication is also a crucial part of having a supplier. Many dropshipping suppliers are located in other countries. If you have an international supplier, it is important to be on good terms with response time and to communicate effectively.
- Create a website or use a third-party platform. If you are using Shopify, you need customers to visit your site to buy your items. You can create a Facebook ad campaign to attract customers.
- Track your data and grow your business. You can use Google Analytics to track conversions.
7.Rent Out Your Home to Travelers
This money-making idea requires a little bit of effort, but you can rent your home to traveling customers. Staying at a hotel can be costly, but you can turn your home into a vacation rental with websites like Airbnb and Vrbo. Vacation rentals offer better pricing, more amenities, and greater flexibility.
Selling your home to vacationers depends on what you are looking to offer your customers. For example, Airbnb allows you to list cheaper prices if you rent out spare bedrooms, tiny houses, or campers. Unlike Airbnb, Vrbo only allows you to rent your entire space to customers for a fraction of the cost of a hotel stay.
8.Get Paid to Complete Surveys
Want to get paid to voice your opinion on upcoming products? There are many websites to complete surveys and earn rewards like cash, gift cards, and more. You simply register and get paid to complete surveys. Once you complete a survey, you may have the option to qualify for product tests and receive a bigger incentive. Here are some of the best survey sites to try:
- InboxDollars gives you a $5 bonus when you sign up. You can complete surveys and other online tasks. The minimum cashout limit is $30.
- OpinionOutpost allows you to earn points to complete surveys, video ads, and product tests. The points can be redeemed for cash through Paypal and gift cards from various retailers. The minimum cashout limit is $5.
- Toluna is another popular survey site where you can influence major companies while using your phone. You get awarded points by completing surveys, video ads, polls, and more. The redemption options are Paypal or retail gift cards. The minimum amount to redeem is about $10.
There are many ways you can put extra money in your wallet. Whether you are thinking of creating a business or saving up to pay off debt, having a side hustle adds on an extra source of income while allowing you control of your life.
Help the young adults in your life achieve financial stability with our Adulting 101 Workshop. Sign up now!
⦁ Robert FarringtonRobert Farrington is America’s Millennial Money Expert® and America’s Student Loan Debt Expert™. (2021, July 21). 15 best side hustles you can start earning with now. The College Investor. https://thecollegeinvestor.com/23078/best-side-hustles/
⦁ McCue, T. J. (2021, January 7). Looking for a side hustle or freelance gig? Check out these sites. Forbes. https://www.forbes.com/sites/tjmccue/2019/07/28/looking-for-a-side-hustle-or-freelance-gig-check-out-these-sites/
⦁ 7 awesome side gigs that don’t require a college degree. Frugal Rules. (2021, March 9). https://www.frugalrules.com/side-gigs-extra-money-no-college-degree/